Linear actuators convert the rotary motion of a motor into a linear motion. They consist of a stepping motor (hybrid stepping motor) and a rotor with hollow shaft. Part of this hollow shaft is a screw nut which, together with a leadscrew, is responsible for converting the rotary motion into linear motion. Our manufacturing partner Haydon-Kerk offers different versions of linear actuators for different applications. The actuators can reach up to 2.200N peak force.
We offer hybrid stepper motor linear actuators in three designs and six sizes, which cover a wide force-velocity range thanks to different screws and screw pitches. You will find a detailed description of each of the three design types further below ("Captive", "Non-Captive", "External Linear"
Since the rotary motion of the stepper motor is converted into a linear motion by a special screw nut, a compact, cost-effective unit is created. It is particularly suitable for applications where small, very precise positioning movements are required. This high accuracy is made possible by the microstepping operation of the drive electronics. Our hybrid stepper motor linear actuators are not only highly precise, they also offer a wide range of forces. They generate forces between 40 and 2,200 N with a high force-to-volume ratio. The lead screw was developed for automation and has a high degree of efficiency.
The following video shows how the three different designs work.
Most important features:
- Standard hybrid stepper motor with ACME lead screw
- 6 sizes NEMA8, 14, 17, 23, 34 and 42
- Step angle 1.8° or 0.9°
- Motorization: 1 stack or 2 stack motor
- Force up to 2,200 N
- Speed up to 100 mm/s
- Accuracy up to 0.0015 mm / full step
- Backlash-free nut optional
- Spindle options e.g. special coating
Most important features of the non-captive version:
- Compact motor with hollow shaft and integrated nut
- The lead-screw travels back-and-forth
- For long travel distances
- The spindle must be secured against rotation by application: Reason: any type of screw requires anti-rotation, otherwise it cannot develop its linear force
The Haydon Kerk family of rotolinear leadscrew stepper linear actuators provide independent linear and rotary motion in either Size 14 or Size 17 actuators. Each actuator incorporates two stepper motors which can be controlled independently using a standard dual-axis driver. Dual motion actuators integrate precise rotational and linear motion in one simple and compact actuator.
- Available in bipolar and unipolar coils
- Step resolution of 0.9° and 1.8°
- Available standard and custom winding voltages
- Large range of leads
- Run using a standard two axis driver