Pancake motors or printed armature motors and servodisc motors as they are also known, are employed for various industrial applications wherever rapid stop-start, zero cogging, low inductance, precise electronic motor control, a low thermal time constant or just a slim, axially flat packaging profile is needed.
Printed Motor Works’ flat armature motors differ from conventional DC servomotors in their unique slotless disc armature design. This enables them to deliver a concentrated level of performance in both incremental motion and continuous speed that is not attainable with conventional iron-core motor designs.
Please note that we are using the terms “pancake motor”, “printed motor”, “servodisc motor” and “flat armature motor” to mean the same thing.
Below is our range of pancake motors:
- GP Series Pancake Motor: the GP series can provide a cost effective servo capability in low volumes. Using flat armature technology the motor is ideal for general purpose applications. Two magnet variants of each size are available: standard ferrite (GPM) and high-power neodymium magnets (GPN). There is also a choice of either a standard series wound armature or a higher speed but lower torque parallel wound armature that has a lower resistance (LR). Armature sizes vary from 9cm to 16cm and higher on special request.
- GM Series Pancake Motor: the GM series (High Precision Compact Series) is an extremely accurate high power pancake motor range with possible high ambient temperature (150°C) operation,for high performance industrial applications. The range is available in 9cm, 12cm and 16cm armature diameter sizes, with standard and high power AlNiCo magnet options. Additionally, through our special build scheme every motor in the GM series is available as a low resistance, i.e. parallel winding (designated LR) motor perfectly suited for low voltage, battery or higher speed applications.
- GN Series Pancake Motor: the GN series (High Precision Slim Series) is an extremely accurate high power motor range but is one third the axial thickness of the GM range, making it our flattest motor ever. The additional benefits of using NdFeB (Rare Earth) magnets are that it is possible for the motor to operate in low ambient temperature (-20°C), for high performance industrial applications. The range is available in 9cm, 12cm and 16cm armature diameter sizes. Additionally, through our special build scheme every motor in the GN series is available as a low resistance, i.e. parallel winding (designated LR) motor perfectly suited for low voltage, battery or higher speed applications.
- GR Series Pancake Motor: the GR series (Ruggedised Series) is a high power pancake motor range but with a heavily ruggedized motor casing. The range is available in 12cm, 16cm and 19cm armature diameter sizes, with standard and high power AlNiCo magnet options. Historically this motor has been popular in the food industry.
- GPG Series Pancake Motor: the GPG9 and GPG12 series combine the GP series with a fully integrated slim gearbox (G) to make a compact, lightweight and durable motor gearbox combination. The GPG series provides a high quality, low cost solution to suit a vast array of applications. To provide maximum selection flexibility, the GPG9 is available with 2 gear ratios while the GPG12 is available with 8 alternative gear ratios from 206:1 to 10:1 each with 4 motor models to suit voltages from zero V to a maximum of 60V. An optional encoder or brake can also be externally fitted to the rear of the motor to provide a feedback control loop or simple safety feature.
- Tachos, Encoders, Resolvers, Brakes and Gearboxes for Pancake Motors: we can also offer cost effective low inertia dc tachometers, encoders, resolvers, brakes and gearboxes that can be coupled directly to our pancake motors.
- Custom Pancake Motors: our partner Printed Motor Works have extensive application knowledge and experience in adapting our standard pancake motors to suit customer’s specific requirements. This includes incorporating ancillaries, providing special features such as alternative mounting plates, motor housings and shafts. Our mechanical and electronic engineers will be happy to work with you. If printed armature technology is the first choice for your application, but you can’t find the right power, speed or torque please call or e-mail us with your requirements as we may be able to offer an armature or twin armature design that could suit your needs. Examples of this are the 24cm and 27cm armature designs that are not listed in our standard product offering.
All of our pancake motors can be made available as an open motor without a front plate. This motor kit can then be built directly into the customer sub-assembly which will house the bearings and shaft.